Thursday, December 28, 2006

Earworm for the Eyes?

Earworm (or "Ohrwurm" if you're German), is a song stuck in one's head. It's usually an annoying one, such as "It's a Small World").

I don't know for sure whether there's a similar phonomenon for other senses, but I recently viewed a photo that I can't get out of my mind. It's by Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison and it's currently hanging at the Fidelity Investments facilities in Merrimack, NH.

Click on the image to see a larger version, as well as purchasing details:



What's also interesting about the duo is that in 2001, after many years of an evolving collaboration, the ParkeHarrisons began to exhibit their work recognizing both Robert and Shana as creators.

As someone struggling to achieve a unique vision that will withstand the test of time (a very humble goal, I know ;-) ), I am in awe of both the ambition and successful execution of the couple's work. Their work, as the DeCordova Museum aptly put it, "embodies aspects of theater, sculpture, painting, and photography-creating a mythical world that mirrors our world, where nature is barely domesticated or controlled."

Well, I guess that if I have to have an "earwork for the eyes", a least it wasn't one of these images.

No comments: