Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Best Christmas Present

(other than having my daughter and her fiance up for the weekend)
was a book that my brother (the guy with the turkey in the photo below) gave me, entitled Art Photography Now.

The soft-cover book covers some of the most innovative, creative work being done by contemporary photographers. Surprisingly, the text that accompanies each chapter is equally brilliantly written, and I'll explore some of the themes over the next few days.

After all, how can one not love a book that opens:

"Photography is consistently changing and hard to define. Its discursive and someone promiscuous nature has tended to confuse many people as to its status and value as an art form.... the fact that photography lacks any kind of unity and seems to have no intrinsic character makes the insistent cry of 'but is it art?' a constant refrain throughout its relatively short but complex history."

No comments: