Monday, January 22, 2007

NPL Featured Artist -Colette Guimond

If that name sounds familiar, it should: she's not only a phenomenally talented artist, she also happens to be my mother.

She was my first art teacher: in fact, one of my earliest memories is of sprawling on the floor, coloring... while she sat at our kitchen table creating a drawing in colored charcoal pencils.

She's the proud owner of my earliest artworks: most posted at one time or another to the Refrigerator Gallery. (In fact, I had to wrestle away an absolutely "butt-ugly" painting I made in college from her when she and my dad moved last fall.)

She's the one who taught me the value and beauty of being surrounded by art... and she's the one who didn't have a meltdown when I announced that I wanted to study art in college. (My degree's in English, but I concentrated in visual arts.)

What's more, she's the one who made me understand that I can do anything I want to in life.

In short, she's quite the masterpiece herself.

No comments: